Last May, I had a radical procedure done in Milwaukee to remove tumors from the area around my stomach, and then warm chemotherapy was applied directly to the affected area. The doctors did the surgery laproscopically, finding few tumors. Unfortunately, however, the treatment didn't work with the cancer coming back within two months. This was sad news because this treatment represents the one chance for a total cure of the disease. Traditional chemotherapy, if it's the right kind, has the ability to stop the disease from spreading and can kill some of the disease, but eventually it stops working. Not to mention, it's side effects are terrible and get worse as things progress.
I've been going through chemo again since October. We tried a new regimen, but it didn't seem to work, though it did give me a nasty rash, among other things. In November, we switched back to the chemo I was undergoing last year. It turned out to be a difficult transition as my digestive system seemed to slowly shut down. I lost 30 pounds in the weeks after Christmas and spent 9 days in the hospital.
Last week, however, we got a glimmer of hope. My surgeon in Milwaukee said he would like to try surgery again late next month, but this time use a different agent (one that seemingly has worked in me before as part of normal chemo). So, I'm going to go through the big "shake and bake" procedure again next month. This one will be more invasive because there is more disease. But I'm lucky I'm a candidate for the procedure in that the cancer hasn't spread outside the area surrounding the stomach. It's an exciting and scary time. The way things were going, a cure almost seemed out of the question. And, though the odds are very slim that the surgery will provide that cure, it does offer a glimmer of hope. That is really meaningful.
Over the coming weeks, I'm going to try to eat a lot and get back to exercising so that I'm in good shape going into the surgery. We'll need all the help and positive thoughts you can send, especially in the weeks after the surgery when Melissa must become even more of Supermom and Superwife. The amount of suppport we've received over the past few weeks has been amazing! Thanks to everybody, Shaun
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Praying for you all!
I am praying for you guys. I will specifically be praying Psalm 91:14- for you & Melissa. When you read it, you will see that it is a battle cry of hope against disease & fear. "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him. I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” I will continue to pray for you and specifically I will pray this for you Shaun & Melissa.
We are praying for your family. Find your strength in the LORD, and you will also find his peace, comfort, love, joy, and hope. We love you, and so does He!
So glad to hear that there is something else to try!! There are definitely positive thoughts and energy coming at you guys from the direction of Pittsburgh! Thinking of you all!
Andrea and Jeremiah
We are praying for you and know that with all the love of family and friends that everything will turn out the way you want it.
Hi Shaun,
My name is Maria and I work with your dad. He tells me that you are trying to gain weight. I want you to know that I am the queen of weight gain. I went from size 6 to 10 just by saying "I do". :) On a serious note, I have a child who has special needs and because she doesnt eat much, we really have to force the calories. Here are some ways you can eat small but get lots of calories. Butter--its what the Amish use....and me too! use it in,on, and around everything. Avocado aprox 300 cal, sour cream- 25cal/tbsp, salad dressing-85cal/tbsp,peanut butter- 100cal/tbsp, cream-80 cal/tbsp, egg yoke-60 cal/yoke, cream cheeese- 50cal/tbsp, sprinkle on cheese 100 cal/ounce. Ice cream..on everything!between cookies, with fruit and milk shakes. Olive oil or any oil- 125 cal/tbsp. I just want you to know that Im praying for all of you and wish you the best as you begin your next round of treatments.
Post a Comment